The South African Pharmacy Council (Council), in 2018, developed a new format for the pre-registration examination which is in line with the new competency standards. Council resolved that the pre-registration examination be conducted three times, i.e. in March, July and October as indicated in the schedule below.
PRE-REGISTRATION PRACTICE EXAMINATION
Please click here to access the pre-registration examination (5 & 6 March 2021).
Only candidates booked for the pre-registration practice examination will be able to access the examination.
The examination format consists of one paper comprising of the calculation and general sections, written over four and a half (41/2) hours. The calculation section will be written over two (2) hours and the general section over two and a half (21/2) hours. You may download the sample 2019 Practice Pre-Registration Exam Paper by clicking here.
The blueprint for the new format examination is available in the 2021 Intern and Tutor Manual. Click here to download the 2021 Intern and Tutor Manual.
Council will conduct workshops in May 2021 to introduce the examination format to interns and their tutors.
Pharmacist Interns attempting the pre-registration examination for the first time will only be allowed to sit for the examination after:
- Completion of five months of their internship (i.e. interns in their 6th month) by the day of the examination or any period determined by Council
- Submission of at least six (6) CPD entries and competence in three (3) CPD entries by the time of booking for the examination
- Submission of three (3) favourable progress reports by the tutor (i.e. the 12 weeks personal and professional development report, 24 weeks personal and professional development report and the sectoral experience checklist)
For interns who have been registered for a minimum period of nine months or those attempting the examination for the second time-
- Submission of at least six (6) CPD entries and competence in all six (6) CPD entries by the time of booking for the examination
- Submission of four (4) favourable progress reports by the tutor (i.e. the 12 weeks personal and professional development report, the 24 weeks personal and professional development report and sectoral experience checklist, and the 36 weeks personal and professional development report)
It is COMPULSORY for all interns to participate in the practice examination before they attempt the pre-registration examination. The purpose of the practice examinations is to provide interns with an opportunity to experience the online examination conditions prior to writing the examination.
The examinations will be conducted remotely. Interns are required to book online on the secure site to write the examination. The examination booking must be completed at least four weeks prior to the examination date. A late booking fee determined by Council will be charged for bookings submitted less than four weeks and up to 14 days before the examination date. Bookings submitted less than 14 days before the examination date will not be accepted.
No fee will be charged for the first and second attempt at the examination. Interns will, however, be charged a fee for a third and any subsequent attempts at the examination.
The fees are published by Council each year and are available on the Council website.
A pharmacist intern may attempt an examination on any of the scheduled dates. If the intern fails the examination, he/she may rewrite it on the next available examination date.
2020 ONLINE PRE-REGISTRATION EXAMINATION WORKSHOP
View the five-part SAPC 2020 Online Pre-Registration Examination Workshop below, or click here to view on the SAPC YouTube Channel.
2020 PRE-REGISTRATION EXAMINATION WORKSHOPS PRESENTATIONS
The 2020 Pre-registration Examination Workshops presentations are available for download below:
2021 PRE-REGISTRATION EXAMINATION DATES* ARE:
21 January (Thursday)
5/6 March (Friday/Saturday)
27 May (Thursday)
16/17 July (Friday/Saturday)
05 August (Thursday)
6/7 October (Wednesday/Thursday)
*THESE DATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.